No matter what you are experiencing, treatments and resources are available. VA offers treatment options that are proven to be very effective for most people, and many types of professionals at VA can treat depression.
Evidence-based therapies are among the most effective treatments for depression. They can include the following — which are in many cases available at a local VA medical center.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Depression (ACT-D) can help Veterans overcome their emotional pain by promoting positive actions and choices that align with their values. Through this therapy, you may increase your ability to recognize and achieve what truly matters most to you in life.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression (CBT-D) is a structured, time-limited therapy that can help Veterans with depression develop balanced and helpful thoughts about themselves, others, and the future. CBT-D can help you modify your thought patterns to change negative moods and behaviors. It can also help you achieve personal goals by developing new skills.
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Depression (IPT-D) is focused on identifying and evaluating relationship issues that may be the cause or result of depression. IPT-D can also help you build social skills to deal with problems in your relationships and improve your overall quality of life.
- Problem Solving Therapy (PST) helps Veterans recover from difficult situations and learn skills to improve their daily life. This therapy can improve your ability to cope with major life circumstances and stressors and develop a response plan.
- Behavioral Activation helps Veterans learn how their behaviors are connected to their moods, and how to develop responses to improve their daily satisfaction. This therapy will ask Veterans to identify their values and goals and engage in more meaningful activities to achieve them.
Explore more potential treatment options at VA by visiting the Learn About Treatment page.
Find Help Today
Each VA medical center has mental health specialists. Use the facility locator to find the medical center nearest you.
Learn more about Telehealth Options
From your home, the clinic, or the hospital, VA telehealth technologies make it easier for you to connect with your VA care team.